Cost-Effective Returns

How to find free help with your taxes

If you loathe doing taxes, an easy way out is to hire someone at a company like HR Block to do it for you. However, if you’re smart about this, you can get help with your taxes without having to open your wallet. Here’s how:

Call The IRS

As odd as it might seem, one way to score some free help with your tax forms is to call the very company that created them (and the accompanying headache). Simply place a call to a local IRS office and ask away. If you are still confused, you can set up an in-person consultation. At one of these appointments, you’ll need to bring your W-2s, 1099 forms and any other relevant paperwork, like documents showing identification and deductibles. Just remember, as US News reports, the IRS will only help you with basic forms, like the unemployment benefits form (1099-G) or the form for IRA distributions (1099-R).

AARP Is At Your Disposal

AARP is also a great source of free tax help. And no, you don’t have to be a member or meet a certain age requirement to qualify. You can find an AARP tax assistance center by calling 1-888-227-7669 or searching for one on

Look for a VITA

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program from the IRS offers free tax prep assistance to anyone who has a household income of $54,000 or less. You’re also likely eligible for VIITA’s free help if you’re a person with a disability or use English as a second language, though terms vary by location. The staff at VITAs is certified by the IRS, so don’t be scared away by the “volunteer” designation. These people know their stuff and are ready to help.

Chris O'Shea

Latest Posts

Powered by: SavvyMoney